If you are interested in volunteering at the Open Door Community, we ask you to read some of the articles that you can access here. We hope that our volunteers walk with us as we together seek God’s Beloved Community on earth through service to our sisters and brothers who are oppressed. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer community service opportunities whether required by a school or a government agency. If you need to fulfill such a requirement, we suggest these organizations.
To find out how you can participate as a volunteer at the Open Door, please call Sarah Humphrey, Volunteer Coordinator, at 404.874.9652 – ext 101 or email email@example.com.
If you have come to help me, you are wasting your time. But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together.”
-Aboriginal Activist Sister
The Open Door Community could not exist without the loving service and support of the many friends who contribute to our ministry. Volunteers participate in a variety of ways:
- Soup Kitchen and Showers: We offer hot meals and showers to friends from the streets on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. Volunteers are needed on both days from 8:45 am (please be on time!) to 12:15 pm.
Please note: While we welcome new volunteers to our soup kitchens, we have limited space. Please contact Sarah Humphrey, Volunteer Coordinator, to find out about our current volunteer needs.
- Sandwich Making: We serve up to 2,000 sandwiches each week, but contributions of smaller quantities are always welcomed. We have refrigerator and freezer space to store sandwiches until they are needed. In the interest of good nutrition, we request sandwiches of luncheon meat and cheese on whole wheat bread. Please choose a meat other than bologna or hot dogs (high in sodium). You may bring sandwiches to the Open Door on Sunday from 9 am to 4 pm and Monday through Thursday from 9 am to 8:30 pm.
- Harriet Tubman Foot Clinic: Our homeless friends need access to free foot care. Volunteers are needed to wash and care for our friends’ weary and wounded feet in the foot clinic on Wednesday evenings from 6:45 pm to 9:45 pm. The Wednesday Foot Clinic services are offered to homeless friends who come to our home on a regular basis.
- Hardwick Prison Trip: We need volunteers with vehicles (minivans or 4-door sedans) to help transport family members of prisoners on this day-long trip to the state prisons in Hardwick near Milledgeville, Georgia. We go on the third Saturday each month, and the trip lasts from 8:45 am until around 5:30 pm. For more information, please call 404.874.9652 – ext 101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Telephone: We need volunteers to answer the phone and door Monday through Saturday. We ask that you give a minimum of two hours at a time, and some training is required.
- Donations: We are beggars in velvet. We are mendicants. We are needy disciples of the Vagrant Christ. We have an unending need for a variety of items. Please click here to see a detailed list of items we need and other information about donating to the Open Door.